Real Estate Glossary
ABR - Accredited Buyer's Representative
CRS - Certified Residential Specialist
CRB - Certified RE Broker Mgr
Jim Barb Realty Inc.
JIM BARB REALTY INC.
25 WEST MAIN ST
BERRYVILLE, VA 22611
Real Estate Glossary
Our glossary is the largest dictionary of real estate and construction terms on the Internet with almost 10,000 definitions.
- H shaped, steel structural piece.
- Metal clip that holds adjacent edges of plywood in alignment.
- Habendum Clause
- The "to have and to hold" clause that defines or limits the quantity of the estate granted in the deed. Declares whether the type of ownership conveyed is fee simple, a life estate, or something different.
- Stacking brick to fire in a kiln.
- Wide, shallow saw frame that's shaped like an inverted U with a fine-tooth blade across the ends of the U and a handle on the other end and is used to cut metal.
- Knife or chisel handle.
- Half Bat
- Half a brick.
- A half-bath containing only a toilet and a sink, which does not have a bathtub or shower. A powder room is normally a half-bath.
- Half By
- Lumber ½ inch thick.
- Half-lap Dovetail Joint
- Dovetail joint with half of the thickness of each part cut down so that the surfaces of both are even when joined together.
- Half-lap Joint
- Lap joint with half of the thickness of each part cut down so that the surfaces of each are even when joined together.
- The period of time required for the disintegration of half of the atoms in a sample of a specific radioactive substance.
- Half Round
- Molding which resembles a cylinder cut in half.
- Half Round File
- File with one flat side and one side a curved half-section, lengthwise of a cylinder.
- Half Section
- View of a section of an object that is taken halfway through with the other half depicted from the exterior, showing the object with half cut away, showing the inside.
- Construction style that leaves large boards exposed on the outside walls with the wall surface between them covered with stucco or another similar material.
- Any of five nonmetallic chemical elements: fluorine, chlorine, bromine, astatine and iodine. Chlorine is used as a bleach and disinfectant. Bromine is used in dyes and for flame-proofing. The Fluorocarbon form of fluorine is used as a lubricant, refrigerant and in fire extinguishers.
- A tool for pounding which is a metal head fastened across one end of a hand with one end of the head may be a pronged claw for pulling nails, as in a carpenter's handle.
- Hammer Fracture
- Overdriving a nail to cause a tear in the gypsum wallboard paper.
- Hand Drill
- Drill, which is manually driven by a turning crank that rotates the drill bit faster than the crank, turns.
- Hand Float
- Smoother for wet concrete or plaster made of a flat wooden board with a one-hand grip that levels the surface.
- Hand Screw
- Clamp, which is adjusted and held together with two screws.
- Hand Tool
- Manual rather than power driven too.
- Waist high railing which runs parallel to the staircase stringers, to be used as a support while using the stairs.
- Manually powered wood saw.
- Handy Box
- Also called a gang box, this small, steel or plastic box is used to mount outlets or electrical switches in walls or for joining conduit or cable.
- Handyman's Special
- House in fixer-upper condition. Home that can be bought cheaply because it is in poor condition.
- Upper set of kitchen cabinets.
- Hanging Scaffold
- Platform, which is suspended by cables, which operate with either manual cranks or electric motors, is used to provide access for work on the exterior of multistory buildings.
- The balance of a loan, with a leased property as collateral, that extends beyond the expiration date of the lease.